Providence, R.I.-The Rhode Island College women's volleyball team defeated Clark, 3-1 (25-22, 14-25, 25-18, 25-20), at The Murray Center on Thursday night for the club's fourth consecutive win.
Clark 1, Rhode Island College 3
Rhode Island College (5-3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• The Anchorwomen held off a late surge by the Cougars in the first set and held on to win, 25-22. Senior outside hitter Courtney Lambrese (Cranston, RI) led the way with four kills, while junior outside hitter Jillian Ward (Coventry, RI) and sophomore middle blocker Jessica Brielmaier (West Greenwich, RI) each had three. Senior setter Abigayl White (Coventry, RI) registered six assists and five digs in the frame. The visitors were led by senior outside hitter Marina Ramos (Guaynabo, Puerto Rico) and freshman middle blocker Kendra Campbell (North Kingstown, RI) with five and four winners, respectively.
• Clark dominated the second set, picking up a 25-14 victory to even the contest. Ramos had four kills to go along with seven digs, while Campbell recorded three winners. Freshman setter Sophia Torino (Los Angeles, CA) handed out six assists. Ward led the hosts with three kills.
• RIC regained the advantage in the third set, winning the closely contested frame, 25-18. Lambrese had five kills. Ward posted four kills and seven digs, while White handed out 10 assists. Ramos led Clark with six kills, while junior libero Rayme Quiban (Seattle, WA) registered nine digs.
• Sophomore right side hitter Jacqueline Jutras (Foster, RI) kill helped RIC win the fourth set, 25-20, and secure the win for the Anchorwomen. Ward had six kills. White posted 10 assists and six digs. Ramos registered 13 digs and five winners in the final frame.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Rhode Island College hit .113 (41-23-159) in the match. Ward had 16 kills and 18 digs. Lambrese posted a double-double with 14 kills and 11 digs, to go along with three service aces. White recorded 30 assists and 15 digs.
• The Cougars hit .138 (45-23-160) in a losing effort. Ramos led the match with 20 kills and 29 digs. Quiban chipped in with 17 digs. Torino was credited with 21 assists.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will open Little East Conference play at home against UMass Boston on Friday, Sept. 15 (6 p.m.). The Cougars will travel to Babson on Saturday for a NEWMAC contest at 11 a.m. and non-conference match against Roger Williams at 1 p.m.
November 20, 2017 Quiban Named to AVCA All-Region and All-American Team
November 2, 2017 Volleyball Places Four on Academic All-Conference Team
October 31, 2017 Volleyball Falls at Wheaton in NEWMAC Quarterfinal Season Finale
October 30, 2017 NEWMAC Quarterfinal Preview: No. 5 Clark at No. 4 Wheaton
October 26, 2017 Clark Soars to 3-1 Victory Over Seahawks on Senior Night
October 24, 2017 Cougars Outlast NEWMAC Foe WPI, 3-1
October 21, 2017 Cougars Sweep in Tri-Match at Plymouth State
October 17, 2017 Volleyball Cruises to 3-0 Victory Over Lyons
October 16, 2017 Ramos and Quiban Sweep NEWMAC Weekly Awards
October 14, 2017 Volleyball Battles to 3-2 Victory Over Beacons
October 13, 2017 Wildcats Shut-Out Volleyball
October 11, 2017 Volleyball Shuts Down Amherst, 3-1
October 10, 2017 Quiban Named NEWMAC Defensive Athlete of the Week
October 10, 2017 Engineers Fight to Victory Over Clark
October 6, 2017 Cougars Outlast Pioneers in NEWMAC Battle, 3-0
October 5, 2017 Cougars Run to 3-0 Victory Over AMCATS
October 3, 2017 Volleyball Falls in NEWMAC Battle with Blue
September 29, 2017 Clark Cruises Past Keene, 3-0
September 26, 2017 Ramos Lifts Cougars to Victory Over Emerson, 3-0
September 23, 2017 Cougars Take Two in Saturday Tri-Match
September 19, 2017 Springfield Sweeps Clark in NEWMAC Battle, 3-0
September 16, 2017 Cougars Fall to NEWMAC Foe Babson; Defeat Roger Williams
September 14, 2017 Rhode Island College Defeats Women's Volleyball In Non-Conference Action
September 12, 2017 Women's Volleyball Defeats Coast Guard In NEWMAC Action
September 9, 2017 ECONN Stuns Women's Volleyball In Five Sets
September 9, 2017 Cougars Comeback Falls Short In Final Game Of Trinity Invitational
September 8, 2017 Women's Volleyball Defeats Westfield State 3-2
September 6, 2017 Women's Volleyball Falls To #24 Tufts
August 7, 2017 Volleyball Adds Three To Comprise Class of 2021