Men's Lacrosse Clinches Playoffs in Double OT Thriller Over Babson

Men's Lacrosse Clinches Playoffs in Double OT Thriller Over Babson


-Score: Clark University 13, Babson College 12

-Records: Clark (9-6, NEWMAC 4-1), Babson (8-6, NEWMAC 4-1)

-Location: Babson Park, Mass. (MacDowell Field)

-The Lead: Junior Bobby Philbin (Ridgefield, Conn.) scored 3:16 into the second overtime as visiting Clark University closed the game with six unanswered goals to rally for a 13-12 victory over Babson College in New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) men's lacrosse action on Saturday afternoon. With the win, the Cougars secured a spot in the NEWMAC tournament.


- After trading goals over the first 10 minutes, the Green and White got tallies from sophomore Mason O'Hanlon (Manhattan Beach, Calif.) and Niall Dillon (Duxbury, Mass.) just 43 seconds apart to build a 5-3 edge with 1:16 to go in the opening quarter. Junior Owen Allen (Franklin, Mass.) scored two in a row to extend the margin to 7-4 with 5:52 left in the second, and Samuel Mishkind (Chappaqqua, N.Y.) answered a tally by Clark senior Brandon King (Eastham, Mass.) with his first goal of the day just 45 seconds from halftime to keep the Beavers in front 8-5 at the break.

-Babson twice led by as many as four in a third quarter that saw the Cougars commit eight turnovers, and took its biggest lead of the game at 12-7 after Dillon set up both Brandon Duffy (Duxbury, Mass.) and Matthew MacCune (Braintree, Mass.) over the first three minutes of the fourth. Clark pulled within three (12-9) on markers by junior Jack Mandracchia (Melrose, Mass.) and senior Jack Pierce (Westborough, Mass.), and then scored three times in the span of 1:59 to pull even on King's goal at the 3:37 mark.

-Senior goalkeeper Nathan Maselek (Marblehead, Mass.) stuffed Dillon at the top of the crease with 11 seconds left in regulation, and then made the only save of the first extra session when he denied Allen's shot from distance with 0:02 remaining. Both teams came up empty on their first possession in the second overtime before Philbin shook a defender and whipped a shot past junior Christopher Aranalde (Rockville Centre, N.Y.) for the game winner with 44 seconds left in the period.


-Allen scored three times while Dillon, Mishkind, and MacCune all had two goals for the Beavers. Dillon led all players with three assists, sophomores Jack Tague (Fairfield, Conn.) and John Antaya (Duxbury, Mass.) scooped up five ground balls apiece, and Aranalde finished with 11 saves in the loss.

-Mandracchia had three goals, while Philbin, Pierce,King and junior Andrew Hollerbach (West Hartford, Conn.) all scored twice for the Cougars. Philbin, who won 15-of-20 face-offs, and senior Sam Wogan (Freeport, Maine) each picked up five ground balls. Maselek turned away 19 shots in the victory and improves to 8-5 on the season.


- Both teams return to action on Wednesday at 7 p.m. as Babson travels to MIT and Clark hosts Springfield.