-Score: MIT 13, Clark University 0
- Records: Clark University (15-8, 7-3 NEWMAC), MIT (13-5, 8-1 NEWMAC)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Fran O'Brien Field)
- The Lead: In a matchup of New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) divisional leaders, the MIT baseball team ran its winning streak to nine straight with a 13-0 shutout home win over Clark University on Wednesday afternoon at Fran O'Brien Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- MIT took control with a four-run third inning as the Engineers put together five hits in the frame. Highlighting the inning was a two-RBI double to right center by Thomas Allison (Kingwood, Texas) that scored seniors Max Lancaster (Attleboro, Mass.) and David Heller (Fair Lawn, N.J.). Junior Jared Schwait (Boca Raton, Fla.) pushed the lead to 5-0 on a two-out home run to right field, marking his first home run of the season.
- The Engineers put together three more runs in the sixth on a bases-loaded walk of Schwait, an RBI single by senior Garrett Greenwood (Edmond, Okla.) and a Heller sacrifice fly. In the seventh, MIT posted another four-run inning that included a two-RBI blooper to left by Schwait to make the score 10-0, along with a long double to the wall from Greenwood that scored Schwait from first.
- An RBI double to left center from freshman Andrew Krause (St. Louis, Mo.) scored Allison with one out in the eighth to complete the scoring in the 13-0 shutout
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Led by a six-inning, six-strikeout start from junior Nick Charchut (Santa Monica, Calif.), the MIT pitching staff combined for 10 strikeouts and allowed only two Clark hits in the team's latest outstanding pitching performance. With the win, Charchut improves to 3-1 on the season, while sophomore Jared Tramontano (Corona, Calif.) struck out the side in the ninth after two outstanding hitless innings by sophomore Tony Rice (Colorado Springs, Colo.).
- Sean Savage (Berkley Heights, N.J.) took the loss for the Cougars as he fell to 2-1 after giving up five runs on six hits in four innings.
- Greenwood went 3-for-6 with two runs scored and two RBI, along with a 2-for-4 showing with three RBI by Heller. Allison was 2-for-5 with two runs scored and a pair of RBI, while senior Kyler Kocher (Mesa, Ariz.) and Schwait each had two hits. Schwait finished the game 2-for-3 with two runs scored, four RBI and two walks.
- For Clark, Kyle Bonicki (Waterbury, Conn.) picked up both hits and also reached base on a walk.
-Clark hosts travels to Springfield College on Friday, April 13th for a NEWMAC game at 3:30 p.m. They then host Springfield on Saturday, April 14th at 12:00 and 3:00 p.m.
- MIT returns to action at home on Thursday, April 12th as the Engineers host Worcester State for a 3:30 p.m. non-conference start at Fran O'Brien Field.